Girls’ Dormitory, Palmer College

The girls’ dormitory at Palmer College was very distinctive. Unfortunately, it was totally ruined by a fire that consumed much of the college in 1915. The Post Card was published by W. K. Jennings of DeFuniak Springs. It was addressed to Mr. T. E. Hubbard of Opp, Alabama, but the

Continue reading

LABOR: A National Weekly Newspaper

LABOR, a national weekly newspaper was published in Washington, D.C., for over four decades. Four issues are in the Heritage Collection, but they are extremely fragile and do not appear to have information specifically about Walton County. [Accession No. 2008-5-2: Donated by W. H. Brooks]

Continue reading

Small Bore Rifle Targets

Rifle targets such as that pictured below were distributed by King & Company, a general merchandise store at the corner of Baldwin Avenue and 6th Street. The building still stands. [Accession No. 2015-6-1: Donated by Stephen McBroom]

Continue reading

Take Stock in the Clock

The First National Bank clock was placed in service in 1924 but, by 2010, had fallen into disrepair. A group from the Walton County Heritage Association, led by former president Ken Little, developed a campaign to pay for the repair of the clock. Those who donated to the campaign were

Continue reading

“Bonnie Blue” Ceramic Doll

This doll was purchased in Walton County. The following quote is from an article that was included with the doll: “German dolls are more popular with collectors than any other group one can study. These are the dolls our mothers and the older ones of us played with as children.

Continue reading

Gold-plated Horseshoe

This gold-plated horseshoe belonged to W. C. Jones’ Tennessee Walking Horse in the 1970s. Mr. Jones was the founder of the Tom Thumb convenience stores that are a major employer throughout the Walton and Okaloosa counties area. [Donated by James E. Moore]

Continue reading