Tag Archive for Chipley

Number Local Boys Enrolled In CCC At DeFuniak Camp, 11th

The Washington County News of Chipley, Florida, reported the following in its January 21, 1937, edition:

Sixteen white boys and eight colored boys from this county were enlisted in the CCC Camp at DeFuniak Springs on January 11th, through local relief agencies, it was announced this week.

These boys are new enrollees and were transfered [sic] to the Camp at DeFuniak Springs by army trucks furnished by the local CCC Camp.

[Civilian Conservation Corps scrapbook donated by Sue and Jesse Carter.]

Colonial Chipley Memorial Service

The following item appeared in The Chipley Banner on February 26, 1898:

[Contributed by Robert Daniel]

Gulf Coast (all rail) Route

The advertisement below is from The American Angler, January 24, 1885, page 63. The Pensacola and Atlantic Railroad ceased to exist and was incorporated into the Louisville & Nashville Railroad in July 1885.

[Contributed by Robert Daniel]

Early Plans for St. Agatha’s Episcopal Church

The following is from the “Report of the Archdeacon of the Western Convocation” from the Journal of the Forty-sixth Annual Council of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Florida, held in Fernandina, Florida, May 1 – 4, 1889, page 22. The Archdeacon was P. H. Whaley. The DeFuniak Springs chapel later became St. Agatha’s Episcopal Church on Circle Drive in DeFuniak Springs.

[Contributed by Robert Daniel]