The Heritage Collection

550 Circle Drive, DeFuniak Springs

This stately residence was built by master craftsman William Dreyer for Kenneth Bruce, the son of Wallace Bruce who was a founder of the Florida Chautauqua. When the Bruce family lived there, it was used for entertaining visiting Chautauqua celebrities. For many years, the extensive collection of armor collected by

Continue reading

676 Circle Drive, DeFuniak Springs

This French Colonial style house was built in 1905 or 1906 by master carpenter Burdick for James A. McLean. The house was constructed of the finest heart pine lumber with a hip roof and broad central chimneys that accent its square dimensions. James McLean considered it the “best spot on

Continue reading

188 Circle Drive, DeFuniak Springs

This Queen Ann design house was built about 1900 by one of the Graves brothers who were lumbermen. Later Albert Fletcher Bullard, who was also a prominent lumberman and banker, purchased the house. The Bullard family lived there for many years. The house was later purchased by Dr. Richard Thomas,

Continue reading

470 Circle Drive, DeFuniak Springs

This Colonial Home was built in 1887 for Edward D. Holton. During the years 1894 to 1908, it was owned by four different families. The Thomas Industrial Institution, an early educational facility, purchased the house for its president in 1915. In 1919, Mr. and Mrs. M. E Savage purchased the

Continue reading

Gulf Coast (all rail) Route

The advertisement below is from The American Angler, January 24, 1885, page 63. The Pensacola and Atlantic Railroad ceased to exist and was incorporated into the Louisville & Nashville Railroad in July 1885. Gulf Coast (all rail) Route The Pensacola, Fla. (Pensacola and Atlantic Railroad). The only route from the

Continue reading